If you can’t tell by the growing number of “hotdogs or legs” photos in your Instagram feed, or the hoards of seasonal allergy sufferers in your midst, let me inform you, outright, that summer is on its way! Having moved away from the land of endless summer last year, I am actually pretty smitten with the idea of hot, long days that drag into hot nights. The time for shorts and tank tops and flip flops and top knots is finally here!
Beyond prepping my dresser drawers for the changes that are happening, I’ve learned that skincare really changes with the seasons when you live in a climate that actually experiences them. It seemed as if my skin never really adjusted to the dry, cold winter, so I’m doing everything I can to keep my skin happy this summer.
Below are a few of my new favorites that have been added to my old summer standbys.
- Coconut Oil:: By now, you’re likely familiar with the numerous benefits of coconut oil, but be sure to read up on them here if you’re not! I love coconut oil as a total body moisturizer, but perhaps my favorite use for it is as an eye makeup remover. The gentle, anti-microbial oil will remove the toughest of makeup (say bye-bye to your waterproof mascara!) while nourishing your skin. I love doTERRA’s fractionated coconut oil as it’s always in liquid form and ready for use!
- Honest Sunscreen SPF 30:: I find it interesting that most commercial sunscreens are full of harmful toxins when their job is to protect your skin. That’s why I love Honest Company’s zinc sunscreen. It shields my skin from harmful rays while protecting my whole body from harmful chemicals. Win-win! (PS-This new formula is way easier to apply than the original Honest SPF!)
- Neutrogena Naturals Makeup Remover Wipes:: I’ve been a long time fan of facial cleansing wipes and am pretty much obsessed with these from Neutrogena’s Naturals line. They’re great to keep in your beach bag or by your nightstand for a no-fuss-get-clean routine. And, I love that they’re promoting environmental conservation with their #wipesforwater campaign.
- Beauty Counter Any Time Eye Cream:: Beauty Counter is one of those companies that just speaks to my heart. They’re skincare, makeup, and healthy living all rolled into one! I highly recommend checking out their mission, and the crazy stats they present on toxins in the American personal care products. Then, try this eye cream! Nothing makes me feel more like an adult than admitting that they tender skin surrounding my eyes needs a little extra TLC. This lightweight eye cream is smooth and luxurious and just what my aging smile lines (read: wrinkles) need.
- Raw Honey:: You can go ahead and call me granola for this one (honey is a staple in any granola recipe, after all), but raw honey has been a secret gem in my skincare lineup. Much like coconut oil, raw honey contains anti-microbial properties that are great for cleansing your skin. Get a jar of the sweet stuff and you have a cleanser and exfoliant in one! Just rub a teaspoon of honey into damp skin and rinse with warm water. You’ll swear you at a spa!
- Jason Age Renewal Moisturizing Cream:: Remember those smile lines I mentioned earlier? Well, I’ve officially made the switch to a moisturizer that will help my face age gracefully. This moisturizing cream is safe for my insides, and oh-so-rich for my outsides. It’s chock full of vitamin E to help keep my skin moisturized for hours. Can’t beat that!
Did I miss any? I’d love to know what your go-to summer skincare essentials include!
Nourish and Be Nourished::